TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Introduction to I-9 Section 1 Date of Birth Mismatch Detection
- Candidate Experience
- Entering a Date of Birth on Preliminary Info
- I-9 Section 1 Mismatch Prompt
- Mismatch Prompt Actions
- Confirm I-9 DOB and Update Profile - When the Employee selects this option, the prompt will be dismissed and the value entered in the DOB field will be treated as correct. Once I-9 Section 1 is saved, the Employee’s Applicant Profile will be updated to the new Social Security Number. The updated DOB will only be persisted to the Applicant Profile after completion of Section 1.
- Re-Enter I-9 DOB - When the Employee selects Re-Enter I-9 DOB, the prompt will be dismissed and the value entered in the SSN field will be cleared. The Employee is now expected to re-enter the correct DOB on the I-9.
- Configuring I-9 Section 1 Date of Birth Mismatch Detection
Introduction to I-9 Section 1 Date of Birth Mismatch Detection
While completing I-9 Section 1, Employees sometime mis-enter their Date of Birth or otherwise enter a value which conflicts with a value which may already be saved to their Applicant Profile. Completing an I-9 with an incorrect Date of Birth could introduce delays in the hiring and onboarding process.
It's also common to view an Employee I-9 as being a more accurate source of information, yielding requests to support mapping these fields to an ATS like Bullhorn. For I-9 compliance purposes, Able does not currently not support these mappings.
A simple solution to avoiding delays and ensuring accuracy of information to to indicate to Employees when there is a mismatch between a record we believe the be accurate and one that is being actively entered.
A Date of Birth mismatch is a circumstance where the input provided by an employee when completing I-9 Section 1 differs from the input provided on their Candidate Profile.
The Candidate Profile data against which the I-9 input is compared, could have been provided to Able in a number of ways. For example:
- It could have been supplied by the Employee when they completed Preliminary Info
- It could have been supplied by a Recruiter manually creating/updating an Applicant record in Able
- It could have been supplied by an automated process, like syncing from an ATS or another system of record via Able Unify
Entering a Date of Birth on Preliminary Info
Entering a Date of Birth on Preliminary Info remains unchanged.
I-9 Section 1 Mismatch Prompt
If an Employee enters a DOB which differs from that which was already on record, they will be prompted to take immediate action and choose to confirm that they’ve entered the correct information or to re-enter their I-9 DOB.
If either the DOB entered in the I-9 or the Applicant Profile is empty, the Mismatch Prompt will indicate that by placing N/A where a DOB would be populated.
Mismatch Prompt Actions
The Mismatch Prompt provides a choice between two options:
If the employee has already completed tax-related onboarding forms with an incorrect DOB (or any other form that uses the DOB entered in Preliminary Info), those documents may need to be re-assigned. This does not and will not happen within the scope of completing I-9 Section 1.
Configuring I-9 Section 1 Date of Birth Mismatch Detection
Administrators can enable DOB mismatch detection to help streamline I-9 operations and avoid important errors by setting to 'On' the following configuration:
System Settings > Form I-9 & E-Verify > Section 1 - Detect Date of Birth Mismatches
This configuration defaults to 'Off'.